When things break down on offense, J.T. Barrett’s legs have been a safety valve. But did OSU run Barrett too much last season? Barrett tucked and carried 205 times in 2016 for a career low 4.1 yards per carry — a full 1.8 yards less per carry than 2015 when he averaged 5.9 yards per attempt. Earlier this week Urban Meyer said he hopes to cut Barrett’s rushing workload this season, “We’d rather not use him as much…Sometimes you need to do it…But that’s also a get-out-of-jail-free card when things aren’t going as well…At times when we use [quarterbacks] too much, that’s when things aren’t clicking at other spots.” Nicholas Piotrowicz with more.
Happy Friday. We’re less than two weeks from Ohio State’s opener against Indiana, but who’s counting? Thanks for reading the Buckeye Daily, the AM newsletter the press, program, and fans read edited by Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line firstname.lastname@example.org. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
- Star 2018 DE Micah Parsons set to visit Ohio State, Caleb Houser, Land Grant Holy Land – August 18
- Cornerback Shaun Wade loses black stripe, Bill Landis, Plain Dealer – August 16
- Jerome Baker won’t be lining up wrong at linebacker anymore, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – August 17
- Picking the Greatest Ohio State Football Game of All Time, D.J. Byrnes and Matt Gutridge, Eleven Warriors – August 17
- Urban Meyer says Penn State ‘absolutely’ belonged in College Football Playoff, Kyle Stackpole, Land of 10 – August 18
Photo credit: MGoBlog