By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Sunday, January 8
BROWN DECLARES — In a surprise move, wide receiver Noah Brown declared for the NFL Draft. The redshirt sophomore registered 402 yards receiving and 7 touchdowns, 4 of which came against Oklahoma. Projected by some as a second to third round draft pick, Brown bounced back from a broken leg in 2015 — but was largely missing in action as Ohio State’s passing attack stalled in the latter half of the season (Brown registering only 8 catches for 93 yards and a touchdown in the Buckeye’s final five games).
EDITOR’S NOTE: The question for the Buckeyes entering 2016 was if this young team could put the pieces together to win this year. They did. Victories against three top-eight teams marked the most impressive performance of any team in the FBS. But the squad was incomplete. Shortcomings in the offense were exposed under the bright lights of the College Football Playoff.
The question entering 2017 is different — can a Buckeye squad brimming with returning talent (and one of the best incoming recruiting classes of all time), claim a Big 10 title and more. The journey in 2017 won’t be easy — but it is a favorable path. Ohio State hosts Oklahoma, Penn State and Michigan State, with road trips to Nebraska, Iowa, and against a team in Ann Arbor that (reportedly) still plays tackle football.
For now, The Buckeye Daily is entering its annual winter hibernation and will return in July, ready to go. Until we meet again, enjoy the off-season. -Jim
1) A Letter to My Mom, Jeffrey Okudah (Ohio State Commitment), Players Tribune – January 7
2) Tate Martell is Johnny Manziel: Notes and observations from the U.S. Army All-American Game, Ari Wasserman, Plain Dealer – January 7
3) Kyle Trout to transfer from Buckeyes, Ari Wasserman, Plain Dealer – January 7
4) Receivers looking to make impact next season, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – January 8
5) Filling the Void: How Ohio State’s 2017 Recruiting Class May Help To Replace Departures in the Secondary, Andrew Ellis, Eleven Warriors – January 8