By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Saturday, December 24 – 7:45 AM
Alabama, Ohio State Tussle over Top Florida Talent: The battle between Alabama and Ohio State for the top recruiting class in the country is shaping up as turf war over the state of Florida. Since Urban Meyer came to Ohio State from 2012-2016, the state of Florida has been the biggest out-of-state talent pipeline for Buckeye recruiting, accounting for 11 commitments (while Georgia, Illinois, and New Jersey trail behind with five commitments a piece). Ohio State’s 2017 Sunshine State haul includes four pledges — tied with the state of Ohio as the most pledges from any single state in the class — including two of Ohio State’s six five-stars: cornerback Shaun Wade and wide receiver Trevon Grimes.
Alabama’s Nick Saban has also been racking up Florida talent with eight commitments for 2017 — the most of any state in their class — including three of the Tide’s four five-star pledges. Things are just heating up here. Next year’s Sunshine State talent haul is elite — 44 of the nation’s top 300 prospects in 2018 call Florida home. Read my latest on Urban Meyer and Nick Saban’s recruiting fight for Florida.
Merry Christmas Eve. For those on the road, safe travels today. For those at home, enjoy the family time. For those solo this year, consider re-watching the Ohio State-Michigan game, it’s a gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for clicking on The Buckeye Daily — the Ohio State morning football briefing the press, program and fans read, edited by Sporting News college football reporter Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line firstname.lastname@example.org. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
1) Ohio State’s Ballhawking Secondary Hopes to Get Plenty of Chances Against Turnover-Prone Clemson Offense, Tim Shoemaker, Eleven Warriors – December 23
2) Malik Hooker’s dazzling rise at Ohio State and the NFL’s challenge of evaluating 1-year superstars, Bill Landis, Plain Dealer – December 23
3) Joe Burger, Craig Fada forged friendship going from walk-ons to scholarship players, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – December 23
4) Chris Worley went from behind Darron Lee to heart and soul of Ohio State’s D: Cleveland Tough, Ari Wasserman, Plain Dealer – December 23
5) Clemson’s Ben Boulware can ‘flip switch’ when time to play, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch
6) Joe Thomas: Joey Bosa is most polished rookie pass rusher I’ve seen, Josh Alper, NBC Sports – December 23
7) Videos: Ezekiel Elliott Rewards Dallas Cowboys Offe