By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Thursday, November 24
Who will start at QB for Harbaugh? Two weeks ago in a loss to Iowa, That School Up North’s starting quarterback Wilton Speight suffered what was reported as a broken collarbone on his non-throwing shoulder (a coy Harbaugh never confirmed the exact injury). A junior, Speight looked good this season, throwing for 2156 yards and 15 touchdowns against only 4 interceptions. Last week, backup senior quarterback John O’Korn, a Houston transfer, stepped in and didn’t look sharp. O’Korn completed only 7 passes for 59 yards. That won’t be good enough to win Saturday. Is Speight healthy and ready to go? TSUN offensive coordinator Tim Drevno addressed the question yesterday saying Speight was, “Taking snaps, and day-to-day. We’ll make that decision when we need to make it. That’s in the doctor’s hand and, ultimately, coach Harbaugh will make that final decision, him being the head football coach. With the doctors.”
Now, I’m no doctor, but if you have a broken collarbone you will not be an effective starting quarterback. Particularly against an Ohio State defense that is hungrier and quicker to get to you than your uncle is for a second round of stuffing. Ohio State is a 6.5 point favorite in The Game.
Happy Thanksgiving. I hope your day is filled with turkey and a judicious use of power naps. Thanks for clicking on The Buckeye Daily — the Ohio State morning football briefing the press, program and fans read, edited by Sporting News college football reporter Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line firstname.lastname@example.org. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
1) Offensive line faces its toughest test, Bill Rabinowitz, Columbus Dispatch – November 23
2) Jabrill Peppers’ freakish ability gives Michigan formidable weapon, Rob Oller, Columbus Dispatch – November 23
3) Buckeyes RB Mike Weber vs. Wolverines RB De’Veon Smith, Bill Landis, Plain Dealer – November 23
4) Urban Meyer, Florida girl share special bond, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – November 23
5) Is Ohio State Wearing Lebron James Branded Cleats Against Michigan?, Jason Priestas, Eleven Warriors – November 23