By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Wednesday, November 16 – 6:30 AM
OHIO STATE UP TO #2 IN PLAYOFF RANKINGS: Ohio State rose four spots in the playoff rankings and now sit at No. 2 overall, behind undefeated Alabama. Other rankings of note: No. 3 That School Up North, No. 7 Wisconsin, No. 8 Penn State, No. 9 Oklahoma. If Ohio State wins out, it will be difficult to keep them out of the College Football Playoff. But there is a scenario the Buckeyes want to avoid. If Penn State wins out, the Nittany Lions would hold two variables the committee values as a head-to-head winner against the Buckeyes and a conference champion. A conference champion Penn State could be enough, in theory, to elevate the Nittany Lions into the top four. PSU in the top four wouldn’t necessarily keep a single loss Ohio State team with quality wins over That School Up North, Wisconsin and Oklahoma out. But it would raise some real questions about how much value the committee places on a conference championship. The committee has never put a non conference champion in the playoff, nor has it put two teams from the same conference in. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but why tempt fate? Ohio State needs to win out and hope Penn State does not claim the Big 10 crown to avoid the committee asking those questions. Read the full rankings here.
Thanks for clicking on The Buckeye Daily — the Ohio State morning football briefing the press, program and fans read, edited by Sporting News college football reporter Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line email@example.com. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
1) Ohio State moves up to second in playoff rankings, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – November 15
2) If Penn State wins the Big Ten and Ohio State wins out, who goes to the College Football Playoff?, Ari Wasserman, Plain Dealer – November 15
3) Players pleased to see Michigan fall, Bill Rabinowitz, Columbus Dispatch – November 16
4) No. 1 offensive guard for 2018 plans to visit Ohio State on Nov. 26, Austin Kemp, Land-Grant Holy Land – November 16
5) Tony Alford Sees Demario McCall Growing at Proper Rate in Ohio State’s Running Back Room, Eric Seger, Eleven Warriors – November 15