TOO MANY GOOD PLAYERS?; PRACTICE GRINDS ON; ADIOS BLACK STRIPES
By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Thursday, August 18
TOO MANY GOOD PLAYERS? How exactly will OSU stay under the NCAA’s scholarship limit of 85 next year? It’s a challenge Urban recognizes as the 2017 recruiting class continues to grow, telling Cleveland.com that, “Roster management is very difficult right now.” What’s the issue? The Buckeyes have only six seniors in 2016 and 16 verbal commitments thus far for 2017. Even factoring in roster churn (players declaring early, transfers, injuries/suspensions), it’s a reasonable question to wonder how OSU stays under the NCAA limit in 2017. As Ari Wasserman writes, the math look tricky. The Buckeye Talk podcast breaks down the numbers in detail (do yourself a favor and listen to it).
PRACTICE GRINDS ON: Urban: “For some of you this is the biggest day you’ve had to point of your career.” WATCH the highlight video of Saturday’s scrimmage showing Mike Weber in form, and Binjimen Victor with an acrobatic catch. WATCH defensive line coach Larry Johnson get the troops fired up, via Tony Gerdeman.
Thanks for clicking on The Buckeye Daily — the Ohio State morning football briefing the press, program and fans read, edited by Sporting News college football contributor Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line email@example.com. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
ADIOS BLACK STRIPES: Quarterback Dwayne Haskins and cornerback Rodjay Burns both had their black stripes removed yesterday, Urban tweets the video HERE.
1) Dontre Wilson says he’s ready to roll in hybrid role, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – August 18
2) Plenty of players catch on for Buckeyes, Nicholas Piotrowicz, Toledo Blade – August 18
3) Mike Weber won’t be the Buckeyes running back unless he does this, Bill Landis, Plain Dealer – August 18
4) J.T. Barrett will shine if team does its part, Rob Oller, Columbus Dispatch – August 18
5) Those in the Middle of Ohio State’s Cornerback Battle Don’t See it As Such, Tim Shoemaker, Eleven Warriors – August 17
1) Buckeye Talk: Discussing Ohio State’s 2017 roster problem, plus questions from training camp, Plain Dealer – August 17
2) Eleven Dubcast: Tim Shoemaker on the Newest Buckeyes at Ohio State Football Media Day, Eleven Warriors – August 17