BE LIKE MIKE; JOHNNIE DIXON HEALTHY; BRAXTON BEING BRAXTON
By Jim Baird | AM Football Briefing | Wednesday, August 17
BE LIKE MIKE: Offensive lineman Michael Jordan has always been poised for big things — but few expected it to all come together so soon. As a recruit, Jordan was elite: a four-star offensive tackle and one of the top 130 prospects in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. But even for blue chip prospects, the learning curve can be steep entering Ohio State (it took Eli Apple a full year to get his black stripe removed signifying his acceptance to the Buckeye team after he struggled to adjust to the college-level). Not only is Jordan’s black stripe gone, he’s poised to start as a true freshman at left guard. Bill Rabinowitz on Jordan’s great start, Bill Landis on how he is winning a starting job as a true freshman.
JOHNNIE DIXON HEALTHY: “The bad days are gone.” Highly touted as a top 100 recruit in the 2014 class from Florida’s powerhouse Dwyer, wide receiver Johnnie Dixon enrolled early in 2014 with eyes on making an immediate impact. Instead, Dixon has struggled with injuries. Now entering his third year in the program, the redshirt sophomore is healthy and ready to go. Ari Wasserman on Dixon’s recovery and how he’ll contribute.
Thanks for clicking on The Buckeye Daily — the Ohio State morning football briefing the press, program and fans read, edited by Sporting News college football contributor Jim Baird. Know someone who would appreciate this e-mail? Sign up here or send me a line firstname.lastname@example.org. And join the squad following on Twitter @buckeyedaily.
BRAXTON BEING BRAXTON: Houston is a long way from Columbus, but for Braxton Miller it’s just another place to make jaw-dropping plays. Here’s the latest from the Braxton-File, via a one-handed catch. FLASHBACK: Braxton jukes his way to an improbable touchdown against Penn State in 2012. The spin move heard round’ the world against Virginia Tech in 2015. The touchdown pass to Devin Smith with 20 seconds left to stun Russell Wilson’s No. 12 ranked Wisconsin team in 2011.
1) It’s J.T. Barrett’s time to finish the mission at Ohio State, Bill Bender, Sporting News – August 16
2) Freshman quarterback Dwayne Haskins learning in a hurry, Tim May, Columbus Dispatch – August 16
3) Ohio State Coach Urban Meyer Embracing Comparisons Between 2014, 2016 Teams, Eleven Warriors, Tim Shoemaker – August 16
4) What you need to know about Tulsa before Ohio State plays them, Matt Brown, Land-Grant Holy Land – August 16
5) Though He Still Dreams of Playing Quarterback, Torrance Gibson Gaining Confidence at Wide Receiver for Ohio State, Eric Seger, Eleven Warriors – August 16
6) 5-star Ohio State OLB target sets commitment date, Dan Hessler, Land-Grant Holy Land – August 16